Sunday, August 26, 2018

Black powder, Crazy Deer, and Old Tom

Running and gunning!!

May 2018, the final weekend of spring turkey season and I wanted one more chance to get another Tom. I was on some friend's land where I have harvested turkeys with success.  It was a Sat afternoon, about 90 degrees in the shade.  I had scouted a few places earlier in the season where I knew turkeys were.  I made a couple of yelps to see if I could get Tom on the line.  Nothing.  Tried again. Nothing waited about 10 minutes and tried again, nothing.  I moved about 150 yards and tried again.  This time I got him to talk back.  I hunkered down and gave another couple of yelps.  Sure enough he answered.  This went on for about 20 minutes.  He was coming closer but then he hung up.  Dang.  I waited about another 15 minutes and tried him again.  Nothing.  I made another move and tried again.  Yup.  There he was talking back to me.  Once again  hunkered down and waited.  I kept talking with him as loud as he was talking to me.  Then I spotted that red head.  There was a lot of tall grass between us, but he was moving right into an area that would give me a clear shot.  He kept coming closer and closer.  I could see his head pop up every now and then thru the grass.  I was getting excited and ready to take the shot.  Using my favorite mouth call I did an little purring and he was coming closer to my shot lane.  What happened next is beyond belief.  South of the land I was hunting on was a weekend gathering of people for a Black Powder Rendezvous.  I hadn't heard anything from them until now.  It sounded like the Fourth of July.  I kept still and the turkey kept coming.  He was just about in my site line when here come about 3-4 deer.  They were hauling their tails out of there.  They practically ran old Tom over.  Needless to say he lowered his head and took off also.  I sat there sweating and cussing.  Then I just started laughing.  I've done a lot of research on late season turkey hunting but never I have encountered what do do when the black powder guns and crazy deer start running.  Oh well.  I always have a great experience when I'm in the field.  Sometimes I bring home the game but I always bring home a story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment